Week One: Two Cultures

 Week 1: Two Cultures 

       I am currently a freshman at UCLA but I am also a commuter that resides in South Central Los Angeles. Hence, I tend to park usually at a structure that is closest to my classes such as fall quarter was mainly at North Campus and this spring quarter is at South Campus. The concept of the division between North and South campus correlates to CP Snow's theory of two cultures being a huge cultural division amongst humans; this division is the scientists and then the literacy intellectuals. This is showcased through UCLA's campus as Northern campus is known for the arts and social sciences majors while South Campus is known for its STEM majors. I am a Political Science major so I my classes are mostly located at North Campus. 


A video of UCLA students describing similarities and differences between both sides of UCLA's campus

Victoria Vesna emphasizes that the arts take an important role in order to develop this bridge which is the third culture. This bridge is not an easy development because it involves a collaboration amongst the two cultures despite the differences that. As a Political Science major I do try to incorporate myself into taking classes like in the Life Sciences in order to be more open minded to those of other majors. I really enjoyed taking classes like these and some that involved coding because it showed that there is a certain format to follow that will provide the "right answer."; on the other hand, within my major, it is open to discussion and essay expressing your ideas on policies. 

I think the integration of one's creativeness should be applied more because as according to RSA's animation of "Changing Education Paradigms" it shows how as technology advances younger kids are being influenced; at a young age, children are open to their creativeness which is then shut down from schools. This pandemic played an important role to this concept because more people were involved in social media platforms as school was now online. Students were not collaborating as much with classmates or had an interactive classroom setting which is essential to one's learning. 


child's hands holding a cell phone with a video game image

Koenig, Angela. “Survey: 'Tweens' Increased Media Use during the 2020 Pandemic Summer.” UC News, 30 Nov. 2021, https://www.uc.edu/news/articles/2021/10/new-study-shows-how-use-of-media-changed-for-school-age-children-during-pandemic-lockdowns.html. 



Citations:
1. Koenig, Angela. “Survey: 'Tweens' Increased Media Use during the 2020 Pandemic Summer.” UC News, 30 Nov. 2021, https://www.uc.edu/news/articles/2021/10/new-study-shows-how-use-of-media-changed-for-school-age-children-during-pandemic-lockdowns.html.  


2. Ucladailybruin, director. Divided- North and South Campus. YouTube, YouTube, 8 Feb. 2019, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q61Agl4k8XA. Accessed 1 Apr. 2022. 

 
3. TheRSAorg, director. RSA ANIMATE: Changing Education Paradigms. YouTube, YouTube, 14 Oct. 2010, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U. Accessed 1 Apr. 2022.  


4.  Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo. 34 (2001): 121-125. Print.


5.  Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures ; and the Scientific Revolution. University Press, 1959.

Comments

  1. Hey Ashlyn! As someone who has also branched out to both sides of campus deliberately, it is definitely interesting to me that you can go through an entire college career without even seeing the other end of campus. This especially rings true in certain majors in my experience, where their craft is particularly honed in. For example, many of my friends in the theater and music majors have never had to take an in-person class on South Campus, especially since many classes are now remote with COVID regulations. The separate ends of the campus seem so foreign to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashlyn! I am also a commuter and due to covid my entire first year I never saw any parts of the campus honestly. I took it upon myself to sort of explore this year so that I could become more familiar with my school. I do believe that it is common for many people to feel like they only know parts of the campus depending on their major because of the way it is divided.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment